Candidates for admission to the Academy shall be reviewed by the Admissions Committee, and of found acceptable shall be admitted as an Executive Member, Diplomat Member, Corporate Affiliate, Student Affiliate, or Lifetime Member. Upon attainment of acceptable qualifications, Student Affiliates may be elevated to Executive Member grade by majority vote of the Admissions Committee, and Executive Members to Diplomat by unanimous vote of the Admissions Committee. The minimum qualifications to be met by candidates shall be set by the Board of Directors (hereinafter referred to as the “Board”) and shall include at least the following:
- Professional Engineering registration.
- Membership in the National Society of Professional Engineers.
- Total experience in engineering practice for Executive Members of five years, and for Diplomats of twenty years.
- Total experience in the practice of building inspection engineering for Executive Members of five years, and for Diplomats of fifteen years.
- Submission for review by Admissions Committee of reports prepared while performing duties of Building Inspection Engineer; for Executive Members 3 such reports, for Diplomats 10 such reports.
- Recommendations indicating experience and qualifications satisfactory to the Admissions Committee for Executive Members from a professional engineer. Reference must have firsthand knowledge of the building inspection engineering practice and qualifications of the candidate.
- Registered Architects who are members of the American Institute of Architects (AlA) may petition the Admissions Committee for admission by providing evidence of experience and qualifications comparable to that required in paragraphs 2 through 6 above. Admission requires recommendation by the Admissions Committee and approval by the Board.