As the field of building and home inspection, investigation, and consultation grew over the years, it became evident that an organization was needed to establish the highest standards for this industry and to verify the qualifications of individuals offering these services.
We believed professional engineers and registered architects were uniquely qualified to provide this service. Thus, in 1989, the National Academy of Building Inspection Engineers was established.
Much has changed in the building inspection engineering industry over the last decade. Today, many State Boards of Registration for Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors have deemed that the inspection and evaluation of buildings regarding their structural, electrical, and mechanical systems for proper design, integrity, or capacity, constitutes the practice of engineering. Thus, the need for a professional organization to protect the public with the highest qualifications and standards possible is even more relevant today.
We are proud to have members in all major metropolitan areas and most states. We speak for home and building inspection engineers in every state through monitoring of legislation, court cases and government activity. We interface with affiliated real estate associations and commissions, state engineering boards and other standard setting organizations
Statement of Purpose
The National Academy of Building Inspection Engineers (NABIE) was established in 1989 to serve the public by advancing the art and skill of engineers who offer their services as expert inspectors, investigators and consultants pertaining to the structural and mechanical components of buildings and homes of all types. The purpose of the Academy is to lead and advance the integrity, value and understanding of the practice of professional engineering, as it applies to the inspection, investigation and consultation involving buildings and homes, for the benefit of the users of its members’ services including the general public, attorneys, realtors, mortgage brokers and other lenders, and other clients, to better serve the needs of real estate purchasers, owners and investors.
Objectives of NABIE are:
- To serve the public by advancing the skill and art of engineering analysis, investigation, consultation and expert testimony in Building Inspections and Evaluation based on engineering knowledge or judgment.
- To establish criteria for and further the education of Building Inspection Engineers through formal studies, seminars and publication of literature on the subject.
- To engage in research and the publication of papers, books and articles on the art and science of building inspection engineering.
- To elevate standards and the ethical concepts governing the practice of building inspection engineering.
- To cooperate with and assist other legitimate professions and organizations engaged in building inspection and building system related activities.
Since 1989, the National Academy of Building Inspection Engineers has worked to establish the highest standards for the building and home inspection industry and to verify the qualifications of individuals offering these services.
We review legislation, examine court cases, and monitor relevant government activities in all states. We interface with affiliated real estate associations and commissions, state engineering boards and other standard – setting organizations.
NABIE only accepts state-licensed professional engineers, and registered architects, specializing in the practice of building inspection as members. Apart from the requirement that our members also be members of the National Society of Professional Engineers (NSPE) or the American Institute of Architects (AIA), many of our members are active in other technical organizations including the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) and Professional Engineers in Private Practice (PEPP), a division of NSPE.
• Inspection of commercial/retail buildings
• Inspection of industrial and agricultural buildings
• Structural integrity/defect inspections and repair design
• Investigation of failures/collapses
• Forensic investigation/testimony
• HUD Permanent foundation inspections/design
• Property condition assessments (PCAs) and reserve funding studies
• Phase I environmental surveys
• Storm damage evaluations/restoration
• Due diligence for investors and asset managers
• Special inspections (cladding, roof, facade, water intrusion, mechanical, electrical)
• Builder warranty inspections
• Construction/Project design, management, plan review, and quality monitoring
Robert Roop, P.E.
David Dotson, PE
Mr. Dotson has professional licenses in Texas and keeps other licenses and certifications current. He has been in the engineering field for over 30 years and continues to build on that experience through a large list of resources and his interest in new projects with new problems. Mr. Dotson has personally conducted thousands of property evaluations on everything from single family homes to high-rise condominiums ranging from new construction to buildings over 100 years old. He has designed structural
systems for commercial office buildings, industrial warehouse facilities, and multi-family apartment and condominiums and has provided turn-key Architectural and Engineering services on commercial projects including office buildings, schools and remodels. He has performed building envelope evaluations and developed repair plans for roofs, masonry, stucco, EIFS, and siding wall systems and window systems for projects ranging from new construction to over 100 year old buildings. Expert Witness services have included single-family residential, commercial, multi-family, condominium and townhome construction defect litigation.
Greg Bustamante, PE
David yancy, PE