As the field of building and home inspection, investigation, and consultation grew over the years, it became evident that an organization was needed to establish the highest standards for this industry and to verify the qualifications of individuals offering these services.
We believed professional engineers and registered architects were uniquely qualified to provide this service. Thus, in 1989, the National Academy of Building Inspection Engineers was established.
Statement of Purpose
The National Academy of Building Inspection Engineers (NABIE) was established in 1989 to serve the public by advancing the art and skill of engineers who offer their services as expert inspectors, investigators and consultants pertaining to the structural and mechanical components of buildings and homes of all types. The purpose of the Academy is to lead and advance the integrity, value and understanding of the practice of professional engineering, as it applies to the inspection, investigation and consultation involving buildings and homes, for the benefit of the users of its members’ services including the general public, attorneys, realtors, mortgage brokers and other lenders, and other clients, to better serve the needs of real estate purchasers, owners and investors.
The objectives of NABIE are:
- To serve the public by advancing the skill and art of engineering analysis, investigation, consultation and expert testimony in Building Inspections and Evaluation based on engineering knowledge or judgment.
- To establish criteria for and further the education of Building Inspection Engineers through formal studies, seminars and publication of literature on the subject.
- To engage in research and the publication of papers, books and articles on the art and science of building inspection engineering.
- To elevate standards and the ethical concepts governing the practice of building inspection engineering.
- To cooperate with and assist other legitimate professions and organizations engaged in building inspection and building system related activities.
Since 1989, the National Academy of Building Inspection Engineers has worked to establish the highest standards for the building and home inspection industry and to verify the qualifications of individuals offering these services.
We review legislation, examine court cases, and monitor relevant government activities in all states. We interface with affiliated real estate associations and commissions, state engineering boards and other standard – setting organizations.
NABIE only accepts state-licensed professional engineers, and registered architects, specializing in the practice of building inspection as members. Apart from the requirement that our members also be members of the National Society of Professional Engineers (NSPE) or the American Institute of Architects (AIA), many of our members are active in other technical organizations including the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) and Professional Engineers in Private Practice (PEPP), a division of NSPE.